Wednesday, September 7, 2011

progress?

Here is the first painting that I created for Carole's book, "And Candy Smiled".  I have a total of 25 pages to complete, and currently have 10 left to go.  I took this week off of my day job to devote to trying to finish the illustrations so we can try to get the book published in time for Christmas.  I've been painting all waking hours since Friday morning, and I am exhausted.  Finally last night,  around 7 pm I had to stop. This morning my arms hurt like I have been flying cross country like some kind of ancient bird, and it is only Wednesday!

One problem that I am encountering is that my paintings are evolving, much like a group of studio paintings that I might do for a series.  This is a great thing if you are  a studio artist, since people like to see an idea progress, but it is NOT a good thing if you are illustrating a children's book.  What I am going to have to do is go back to the first paintings and change them so that all of the paintings match.  I love how this first painting is so simple.  My current paintings are so intricate and bright they make your head spin.  At least they are making MY head spin.  Still, I am looking forward to being able to paint like this full time instead of spinning my wheels 40 hours a week at my day job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment