Thursday, July 31, 2014

"Field Games" figure, pastel, 11 x 14"

"Field Games"  1 x 14" pastel
I was doing my usual strolling through the living museum of Colonial Williamsburg when I saw this young lady, dressed in full colonial garb, playing field games with a group of kids.  She must have been very devoted to her work because it was  mid July and scorching hot with an intense light and heavy humidity.

I hoped to capture the atmosphere  and energy of the heat around her as she bent to pick up the ball and paddle.  She very kindly posed for several photos, and I hope to paint more of her.

This painting was unusual in that it was the my first attempt to use watercolor under pastel instead of my usual diluted pastel underpainting.  I used Winsor and Newton's Quinacridone gold on a sanded pastel paper to create a value structure. Much to my surprise the sanded paper accepted the watercolor almost as well as watercolor paper.  You can see some of the gold tones of the painting under the drawing.  My next challenge is to try to leave more of the painting showing under the pastel.

2 comments:

  1. I have always loved negative shapes that create the positives! (There is truth in that in the spiritual realm too!) :) Like how the painting was/is cropped. This painting with the lovely strokes is a nice, lovely example. Well done, Emily! I am on the same journey in fine arts and with the medium of pastels and liking it very much. However, I haven't developed the techniques and control that is required for excellence. Just a baby I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ludabelladonna. I feel like I am just a baby too as I am still learning in leaps and bounds. I hope that no matter how well versed I become that I will always consider myself a newbie and keep learning at this pace. Good luck to your painting and let me know if there is anything that I can do to help you in your journey.

      Delete