Tuesday, June 16, 2020

How do you get rid artist's block?



What is artist’s block and how do you get rid of it?

If you have never experienced a creative block the best way that I can describe it is to compare it to constipation.  I know that sounds gross, but it is pretty accurate.  I have been really sick this past year, so as a result I had a yearlong block.  This is especially exasperating when you take into consideration that my studio is only the next room over from my bed.
"Light Blue and Orange" 12 x 16 oil
One of the three oils that I found hiding behind the furnace

"Orange Weeping" 18 x 24
One of the first things I do if I am blocked on a specific piece is to “marinade” it.  I put it into a portfolio for a day or a few weeks if I can.  Once I put 3 oil paintings behind the furnace and forgot about them.  I was so frustrated with the process I decided I wouldn’t dabble in oil again but I could not let them go. 

Later I found them, back behind the kitty litter and a few empty boxes.  After cleaning them up and making some minor changes I entered them into two shows.  The 3 pieces won best of show for an exhibition in Richmond at the Crossroads Art Center.  Then, the 3 pieces won another high award at Charles Taylor Art Center in which the smallest one sold. My advice to my students is to never throw away your unfinished works.  They may not be as bad as you think.
"Listening to Shining Star by Earth Wind and Fire" 18.5 x 25.5

My most recent work is called Listening to Shining Star, shown above. It took me a year to do because I was blocked and also very physically ill.  I finally finished it yesterday just in time to put it into a show.  I hope it is accepted it gets in, but mostly I am just glad its done.

I will talk about this issue again in a future post where we will discuss "How do I know if it is done?"






No comments:

Post a Comment