Friday, June 12, 2020

Where does talent come from?



Where Does Talent Come 
from?



How Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel became a Renaissance icon Michealangelo's "The sistine chapel, Creation of Adam" c1512

 I would like to address my readers with a few common misconceptions about full time working artists. I will answer these issues over the next few weeks.  I get asked many questions when I am doing a demo in public, drawing portraits from life at a park or teaching beginners.  

The first question that comes to mind is innocent enough. “Where did you get that talent?”  I hate this question.  Honestly my low Artesteem is either masked by the fact that I am my own marketing agent, or not masked at all and people think I am digging for compliments. When I am teaching I mask it well too.  " Uh yeah, I am so, like, awesome!"  (not). 
Leonardo Da Vinci's The Last Supper has a strange history ...
"Last Supper" by Da Vinci, c1490

I knew I was talented before I could draw.  I knew I had a gift before I could write.  This is not bragging, its just how I am.  I was also born with dimple in my chin and really thick hair too.  It just is how I was born.  My parents raised 7 children to be unique in 
their own ways, so they had 7 kids that looked very much alike, but were vastly different in personalities.  I did get the music bug from my Dad.  But even though I excelled at music at a very young age, I thought I would be a visual artist.  I prayed and prayed and cried as I tried my best to draw as a kid, but the best I could do was to scribble like most other people my age.  

Then, one magical day when I was around 12, I picked up my school pencil and some notebook paper and drew myself while looking into a mirror. I could draw but no one taught me how to do it. I freaked out.  What the heck?  That was the first time I felt my art angel over my shoulder guiding my hand.  I was spooked. My parents were flabbergasted.  No one in our family were visual artists.  “Where did this come from Emmy?” my Mom asked. Dad just stared speechless for a moment if I recall. I must have had the deer in the headlights look when I said, “I don’t know, I just drew it.” So, I think that answers the question for me anyway as to where my “talent” came from, it came from God and the universe. This means that no matter what, I have an obligation to use this gift.

Having this present from the universe means that I practice and study obsessively. I am a highly technical pastellist and painter.  This is the part that came from constant study spurred by my desire to be an artist. I teach the technical aspects of art.  The students supply their own talent and energy. Anyone can learn the techniques and the rules.  The talent supplies the fuel for the fire.

What makes one person talented and one person just technically able to draw you ask?  I believe firmly that I can teach anyone at all to “draw”.  I teach them a set of rules. They follow them or break them as needed.  The talent comes when things get tough.  You stick to it and make it your passion your purpose in life.  If I am on a roll I will work until 4 am, as I did last night.  I often dream about the drawing that I am working on. My ideas often come from dreams.  I power through the mistakes and let them form a new idea.  I dig deep into my own psyche and bare myself to the world through my art. This is the difference between talent and ability to draw, I think.  The talent is the bug in your head.  The talent is finding inspiration in anything and everything.  The talent is what causes artists to live, eat, breath art.  Its not bad if you don’t have “talent”, in fact perhaps you do and have not explored it yet.
Van Gogh Starry Night - The Painting and The Story
"Starry Night" Van Gogh 1849

By the way please know that I would never compare my talent with that of the 3 artists I have included.  Above you can see the difference between 3 very gifted artists.  MIchaelangelo, Da Vinci and Van Gogh were all child prodigies.  Van Gogh however had no formal training as an artist.  He learned by friending other artists of his time, copying prints from his brother’s print shop then learning to add color later.  Michaelangelo and Da Vinci were trained from a very young age.  

You don’t need schooling to be talented.  You dont need talent to be schooled. You can learn on your own if you have the passion.  If you don’t have the passion, time or energy, just learn in little spurts when you can.  That is OK. Inspire yourself with crafting, as that uses a very similar mental process in my experience.  Try some beading, puzzles, scrapbooking or making crafts with the kids.  Its all the same type of energy expressed in different ways.  This theory is my own thoughts.  

If you have other theories please post them.  I love a healthy and polite debate.  If you have a question about common misconceptions , bring it on.

Peace,
Emily Christoff - Flowers
Emilychristoff.com
757-879-9795


1 comment: